April witnesses spike in Bahrain-origin exports; Touches $778mn

By Amirtha P S, Desk Reporter
  • Follow author on
Bahrain Port
Representational Image

According to the Information & eGovernment Authority’s (IGA) foreign trade report, the value of Bahrain’s exports of national origin surged by 59 percent to reach $778 million during April 2021, compared to $493 million for the same month of the previous year.

The top 10 countries in terms of the value of exports of national origin purchased from Bahrain accounted for 81 percent of the total value, with the remaining countries accounting for 19 percent.

Saudi Arabia ranked first among countries receiving Bahraini exports of national origin, importing $151 million from Bahrain. Meanwhile, Egypt was second with $100 million and the UAE ranked third with $95 million.

The top products exported during April 2021 were agglomerated iron ores and concentrates worth $252 million, unwrought aluminium alloys were second with a value of $143 million and the third was aluminium wire not alloyed with $31.8 million.

During April, the total value of re-exports increased by 39 percent to reach $140 million, compared to $100 million for the same month of 2020. The top 10 countries accounted for 87 percent of the re-exported value, while the remaining countries accounted for 13 percent. 

The UAE ranked first with $50 million followed by Saudi Arabia in the second position with $37.14 million, and Hong Kong at third with $10 million. Gold ingots are the top product re-exported from Bahrain while four-wheel-drive cars came in second place and private cars in the third position.

The trade balance, the difference between exports and imports, recorded a deficit totaling $289 million during April compared to $368 million for the same month of last year, an improvement of the trade balance by 21 percent.

The value of imports increased by 26 percent, reaching $1.2 billion during April compared to $960 million for the same month in 2020. The top 10 countries accounted for 71 percent of the value of imports, with the remaining countries accounting for 29 percent.

According to the report, Brazil ranked first in terms of imports to Bahrain, with a total of $206 million and China came at second with $159 million followed by UAE at third with $76 million.

Related: DP World, Ethiopia unite to develop a trade & logistics corridor


YOU MAY LIKE