In an attempt to acknowledge the existing talent and competencies within the country and to further attract bright minds into the Emirati community, the United Arab Emirates has made amendments to its existing rules and regulations concerning Nationality and Passports to provide investors, professionals, special talents and their families gain conditional Emirati nationality and passport.
The amendments facilitate the acquisition of Emirati nationality and passport by individuals who fall into qualified categories which include investors, doctors, specialists, inventors, scientists, talents, intellectuals, artists and their families (spouse and children). The revision also supports dual nationality by which individuals who seek Emirati nationality and passport would not have to give away their current nationality.
The Emirati citizenship will be given through a nomination process which includes recommendations from Rulers and Crown Princes Courts, Executive Councils, and the nominations from cabinet based on federal entities.
Criteria for Investors
- An investor who seeks Emirati Nationality is only considered qualified for the nomination only if he/she owns a property in the UAE.
- Inventors who are willing to acquire Emirati citizenship are required to obtain one or more patents that are approved by the UAE Ministry of Economy or any other reputable international body, in addition to a recommendation letter from the Economy Ministry.
Criteria for Doctors and Specialists
- Doctors and specialists must be specialized in a unique scientific discipline or any other scientific principles that are highly required in the UAE.
- The applicant must have acknowledged scientific contributions, studies and research of scientific value and a practical experience of not less than 10 years, in addition to obtaining membership in a reputable organisation in his field of specialisation.
Criteria for Scientists
- Scientists are required to be an active researcher in a university or research centre or in the private sector, with a practical experience of not less than 10 years in the same field.
- They also should have contributions in the scientific field such as winning a prestigious scientific award, or securing substantial funding for their research during the past ten years
- A recommendation letter from recognised scientific institutions in the UAE is mandatory.
Criteria for Individuals with creative talents
- Intellectuals and artists should be pioneers in the culture and art fields and winners of one or more international award.
- A recommendation letter from related government entities is mandatory as well.
The UAE citizenship offers a wide range of benefits including the right to establish or own commercial entities and properties, in addition to any other benefits granted by federal authorities after the approval of the Cabinet or local authorities.