Mubadala Energy discovers good quality gas reservoir in Malaysia

By Arya M Nair, Intern Reporter
  • Follow author on
Gas exploration
Representational image

Mubadala Energy has confirmed the discovery of a good-quality gas reservoir penetrated by the Cengkih-1 exploration well in Block SK320, off the coast of Sarawak province, offshore Malaysia.

A preliminary analysis shows a significant gas column of more than 110 meters within the pinnacle carbonate reef reservoir.

The Cengkih-1 exploration well is located nearby the Pegaga field, one of the fields within the SK320 Block, which recently marked the successful production of commercial gas. The Pegaga field recorded the discovery of 1 Trillion Cubic Feet of additional gas initial in place, following the post-drill results, confirming a larger and better quality reservoir.

Building on Mubadala Energy’s strong position in Malaysia, these results also bolster the company’s strategy to expand its position in natural gas as a key bridge fuel in the energy transition.

Mansoor Mohamed Al Hamed
Mansoor Mohamed Al Hamed
CEO – Mubadala Energy

“This discovery further cements our position in Malaysia as a reliable and trusted operator with deep technical capabilities. Gas demand in Southeast Asia continues to grow and we look forward to helping meet those energy needs, in line with our strategy to play an active role in the energy transition.”

Mubadala Energy is the Operator of Block SK320, with 55 percent participating interest in the Production Sharing Contract. The remaining 45 percent is held by PETRONAS Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB) and Sarawak Shell Berhad. Since entering Malaysia in 2010, Mubadala Energy has made six gas discoveries displaying a success ratio of 75 percent, a significantly higher number than the industry average.

The energy company renamed its brand name from Mubadala Petroleum to Mubadala Energy earlier this month. This transition is expected to contribute to its expanding gas portfolio.

Related: UAE’s Mubadala Petroleum unveils its new brand name ‘Mubadala Energy’


YOU MAY LIKE